Thursday, November 29, 2012

Blogger Feature :: Amy Herzog

Lately I've been thinking about trying to get some of my designs published. I've been looking at the many beading publications to see if I should submit my designs. I did finally submit to two of them and was accepted by Stringing. I am very excited that a retro-deco design of mine will be featured this Spring. 

But here's a funny twist. I gave a few samples of my work to a knitty friend of mine, Thea at Baby Cocktails, on a recent visit. And she shared those samples with a few of her friends. One is a knitter I've come to know through the blogosphere: Amy Herzog. She does a really amazing series on how to knit to fit your own body features---how to alter patterns and make sure that it is something that will look good on you. Really amazing idea if you ask me. I posted awhile back that Amy was wearing one of my necklaces in her blog, but guess what? She's published a book and she's wearing my necklace in her bio feature! Looks like my first published piece will be her book coming early this April, 2013.

Here is the quick summary to Amy's book: Knit to Flatter is about celebrating the body you have been given and creating sweaters that make you look and feel great. Part instruction manual and part pattern collection, Knit to Flatter teaches you how to assess your shape—top-heavy, bottom-heavy, or proportional— and then knit accordingly. With a great sense of fun and acceptance, Amy Herzog presents silhouettes and styles that work with each body shape, along with four ideal sweater patterns per category. She then provides patterns for 10 more sweaters with guidelines for customizing, so they can be tailored to flatter. Each pattern is written in up to 10 sizes, and the garments are photographed on models with genuine curves. No smoke and mirrors here. Just real beauty!

If you're a knitter, I highly recommend both Amy and Thea's blogs. You can check out Amy's Fit to Flatter blog series now and get the book on order at Amazon. Amy also teaches her series at knitting retreats; she has one coming up called Fibre Space Dec 8-9 you can check out.

10 comments:

  1. That is awesome, Cynthia :)
    I am nowhere near as good to be able to knit those patterns, but sounds like a lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy's designs are so beautiful! Her designs are stylish and classic. Yay for your necklace~that is much cause for giddiness :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on both features! That's great that the magazine will be featuring you and so awesome that Amy chose to wear your beautiful piece in her bio photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Cyn! You'll have to show me the design that was accepted when we see you at Xmas. Loving some of the new pics down below here too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your feature! Fit to Flatter sounds like a great book. Thanks for the detailed review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on getting published -- in the way you were expecting (hoping), and in the unexpected way as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot knit, no matter how hard I try! I am stuck with my measley crichet work! Congrats on BOTH of your publications! So exciting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so very excited for you. Congratulations ..twice!! you deserve every accolade my talented friend. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Hop. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on both features Cynthia! That is fantastic!!! Amy's book sounds perfect for the knitter. I have dabbled in knitting but it has not grown on me. I hope that someday and I can pick up the craft again and really get into it! I am always envious of knitters' work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great story. Funny how surprises like that can make your day.

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy